Thursday, October 1, 2009

Minori Amalfi Herculaneum and Pompeii

Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi & Minori
Herculaneum and Pompeii
This has probably been my favorite educational trip so far. I really enjoyed hearing about all of the history and the way that people lived back then. It blows your mind. Herculaneum was basically the Club Med of the ancient Roman world. It’s amazing to learn about all of the technology that they had. I mean their kitchens are better than some of the ones at school. They took such pride in their buildings and the decorations. I mean they didn’t really have pictures so they took the time to make mosaics on the floor. I mean who does that any more. They just took so much pride in their home. I loved walking through the old cities. Its amazing to see how well intact everything is. I mean that stuff was there over 2000 years ago and you can still see the streets.
I do love that they have not knocked down the ancient stuff to put up new buildings. In America I feel that we just knock things down to make room for the bigger and better, but we don’t really get to see the history that way. I think that’s why I like downtown so much.
The cities were huge I mean it took us over 3 hours to walk through Pompeii. We didn’t even go through most of the town. It was amazing to see all of the buildings and public places that were still intact. I mean without that volcano eruption we wouldn’t have all of that today. There was even an almost red light district that was a little interesting. Who would have thought? I really enjoyed having the opportunity to go through those ancient cites. I mean how many people get to do that.
We had a blast taking pictures and I think we were probably the most rowdy people there. I mean we had been through about 100 churches at this point and we needed to have a release. We even played on the old sport fields. It was a blast.

Amalfi and Minori
Minori is my favorite place ever!!!!!! It’s so quaint and homey. Everyone seems to know everyone else and they are so welcoming to everyone. It’s not really a huge tourist town for anyone, but Italians. I couldn’t even find it in my book. I loved the little old men that walked around at night with their hands behind their backs discussing the topics of the day. Most of them sat around for most of the day playing cards on the beach. I want that to be my life when I am older. I mean I already picked out the house where my Mom, Shelby and I will live it’s gorgeous (it’s in the pictures).
They also had some of the best gelato ever there and the cutest little market I have ever seen. We all had a blast hanging out in the water and just exploring the city. There are fun little hikes and quite a bit to do for such a small town. It’s just the place you would want to go and visit grandma at. IT was also just a 10-minute waterbus ride to Amalfi.
Amalfi was also really amazing. It was a little too touristy for my taste, but I did find some great presents (Shelby I still will not be telling you until Paris). We even got to see a wedding take place. It’s a lot different that what I thought it would be like. I couldn’t even imagine getting married in such a beautiful town. I think that we should have a petition so that the church can have a temple there. Anywhere it would be beautiful. I loved walking around and just watching everyone go by. It’s great to see the bargaining and people trying to maneuver their way around the one-way street and the cars trying to pass with just enough room for that. I mean the streets were packed. Who designs a city where there is only one road? It’s crazy.
I couldn’t have imagined a beach more beautiful and the water was so clear. You can see by the pictures. It’s great to see how beautiful the beach can be. California will never suffice again. I think I’ll have to go back. At least I have an excuse. The only thing that was a little hard was the rocky beach. I guess that’s why they are so clear though.

No comments:

Post a Comment