Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Getting There

I said goodbye to Mom and she promised not to cry. Surprisingly to any that might know her, not necessarily a promise she typically lives up to. I got inside and.....My adventure began getting to the airport...All was going well until I realized that I had gotten in the wrong line and would have to wait another 35 min to get my bags checked(Mind you I listened to Uncle Mark as opposed to my mother and was there with just enough time to only allow for a certain amount of time for mistakes). Luckily the lady at the counter, not necessarily the most courteous let me pass, but definitely was not happy about it.
I finally am able to get on the plane and it's a pretty smooth ride from LAX to Toronto. All was going well until I realized that my flight was running late and I might not be able to catch my flight to Rome. AAAHHH. So I tried to get off of the plane as quickly as possible....WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG TO GET OFF OF A PLANE ANYWAY? THAT IS PROBABLY MY LEAST FAVORITE PART OF TRAVELING.
Anyway I get off of the plane and I have to go through customs. I hate that the first stamp in my passport is Toronto. I mean really??? It's not even that cool. It's like having Mexico as your firt stamp...well maybe not as bad a Mexico. That line took forever. Luckily my French got me through a little bit faster. I had to run to my plane though. That definitely was not fun. I made it though, just as they were about to close the door. I am usually so good at traveling. I don't know why I had so many problems. Oh well I'll have a lot more trips to make up for it.
I finally landed in Rome and it was a lot easier to navigate then I thought it would be. I made it through customs without a hitch, got my bags(still praying in gratitude that they were not lost) and got my money. No problems. I thought I was free and clear...then I had to get my ticket for the train. I never thought I would meet someone so rude in the service industry. I understand that it's not easy dealing with tourists all day, but oh my gosh. The train ride went okay. I helped some other people get to where they needed to go and taught them how to read their tickets.
I got on the Metro and didn't have a problem. Mind you I am carrying about 120 lbs of luggage with me. I had even made preparations the week before and written down where I was supposed to get off and everything. I didn't think that I would have a problem with that. Turns out that's where everything went down hill. I got off one exit too early and I walked around for an hour and a half trying to figure out where I was going. I finally gave up about an hour and a half into the ordeal, but the damage was done..I had blisters and my pride was definitely shot.
I made it to my hotel and I think that the taxi driver was a little shocked at my sigh of relief when I exited the cab. I had never seen anything so lovely(A little dramatic I know but believe me you would too).
I finally got up to my room and took the longest nap of my life. Fell on the bed at 11:30 and woke up at 8:00 p.m. I finally came to terms with the fact that I WAS IN ROME!!!! OH MY GOSH!!! IT WAS BEAUTIFUL...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain... okay not really.... did you take pics of your blisters for proof.

    Love your blog...

    ReplyDelete